Friday, November 27, 2015

Hanukkah 2015

I come from a small family, so I don't need to make a lot of Hanukkah cards. But that means I also need to change it up every year so people don't get the same card over and over again. I'm always on the lookout for something that intrigues me, and this year it was the CAS-ual Fridays Festival of Lights stamp set.

I must have played with this for days before I figured out something that would work. The main image is 5.5" wide, which fills the card width. I first tried it on a tri-fold card, with the front of the card folded back on itself, but it was not quite what I wanted.

I finally ended up with this:


Don't be fooled: there are a bazillion steps here, but each one was manageable and not too involved.

1. Stamp the main image with Hero Arts Silver ink. I used my MISTI and stamped it a few times to get good coverage.
2. Cover with silver embossing powder and set aside.
3. After 3 or 4, heat set.
4. Repeat until you have 10 complete.
5. Stamp the celebrate sentiment (again I used the MISTI) in Memento Luxe Nautical Blue.
6. Cover with clear embossing powder and set aside.
7. After 3 or 4, heat set.
8. Repeat until you have all 10 done.
9. Stamp the flames (9 per card) using SSS Sunshine dye ink.
10. Go over each flame with a clear Wink of Stella brush pen.
11. Cut 1/8" strips from some PTI Night Sky Shimmer card stock. My top panels are 4", and this makes them 4.25" to fill the card front.
12. Glue all those strips into place.
13. Cut some star borders from PTI Night Sky Shimmer card stock and stick one to each card front.
14. Use bright gelly glaze pens to fill in the dots of each letter.
15. Take a nap.

I like how they came out. I think next year, unless I'm wow'd by a new set that comes out, I'll do something completely different.

Thanks for stopping by!

Some of the stuff I used: vat of clear embossing powder, SU silver embossing powder, PTI Night Sky Shimmer card stock (I think it's the only PTI product still in my possession), Star Border die (PTI - okay, I have two PTI possessions), and the following:



5 comments:

  1. OK, it's a great stamp set, but you made it fabulous! I'm impressed that anyone can make multiples of any card, and a design with this many steps is totally awesome! You completely deserve a nice, restful nap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific design! A beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, your nap is well earned after all that work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! All the steps to this! It came out wonderful and to think you made a whole passel of them to boot!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)