Monday, November 23, 2015

Fall Quilt

One of the cool things about this hobby is inspiration is everywhere! I've been inspired by paintings at a doctor's office, or the tile pattern/colors in a public bathroom, or hotel carpeting, or someone's shirt.  Today I was inspired by the new avatar for one of my Tweeps:


This coincided with the current Colour Me! challenge:

I just used the three colors in the challenge, omitting the orange and green. This was a good thing, since the die I planned to use gives me a headache, even though I love it.

I made many cards, and two survived. Here's one of them:


I think this was my third attempt. I started with white watercolor paper (you can kind of see that in the square with the sentiment), but decided to go with an off-white instead. I inked up an acrylic block with Tea Dye, Barn Door and Mustard Seed Distress inks, spritzed it to get the colors flowing, then pressed it onto a piece of water color paper. I let it sit for a bit to get the colors to soak in, then removed the bock and dried the panel with my heat gun.

I originally thought the white/cream squares would look good in a colored frame, but it was too stark. The off-white frame looked better with the colored squares, and that's what you see above.

The plain square looked funny with all the other square with designs in the centers, so *light bulb* I thought I'd break open my Mama Elephant Mini Messages set and give that blank square a job.

Next, I thought maybe I needed to use fewer patterns, so I die-cut a bunch more in off-white. I tired several combinations, but just wasn't feeling the love.

I finally settled on a colored frame with colored squares and off-white centers:


Normally, quilts have a contrasting edge, but for this, I liked the contrasting centers. I might be weird.

In other news, I am almost out of my favorite Hero Arts Punch Layering Papers. They no longer offer them by individual color; you need to buy the 3-color pack. Same with the packs of note cards. When I first got wind of this change last year, I immediately bought up all the Grass note cards I could find. I wasn't in Punch mode then. :(  I found some Punch note cards at Amazon, but the shipping is per item, and I didn't want to pay a bazillion dollars in shipping, nor did I feel like contacting the seller to negotiate. So I'm running low on Punch layering papers. I may have to bite the bullet and buy the mixed packs. So sad.

I hope wherever you are, if you got snow, that you are happy about it. We got a tease yesterday, and it melted as soon as the sun hit it. I hear some people have gotten 12" or more. I'm not ready for that, yet. Maybe in January.

Thanks for stopping by!





2 comments:

  1. These are fabulous Leslie, I like the white centers on both cards. I can't decide which of the two i like better, both are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! Excellent ink smooshing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)