Tuesday, August 25, 2015

SOS #216: Splish Splash

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Splish Splash, and we'd like you to use a wet medium on your project.

I had so many fabulous ideas. I really did. I have done a bit of very selective shopping lately, and I now own 12 Zig Clean Color markers. I've had them for a while, now. Plus, they shipped from Japan and took three weeks to get here. Then I waited until this weekend to play with them. I'm not feeling the love. I also have a very short attention span, so I guess they won't work for me.

Then I played with my new Color Burst ink powders. Fun, but again, not feeling the love. After a while, I gave up and went back to my old reliable Distress Inks and used them to water color a Hero Arts flower. That almost worked, even, but the water ran and smeared one of the petals. It looks awful.

Finally I gave up completely and made this:


I masked a piece of water color paper, smooshed three colors of blue Distress ink onto my craft sheet, spritzed them with water, then used an empty water brush to apply strips of color, light to dark, top to bottom. It's crazy easy to do.

I then used my MISTI to stamp the flowers in Archival Black ink, then used it again to stamp the sentiment.

I know I'm not a water colorer. I like that I know my limits, too. Plus, think of all the money I'll save! We can't all be good at everything, and I choose to not be good at water coloring. Although, it does look kinda nice, doesn't it?

So, got wet products lurking in your craft stash? I say you get them out and give them a try. Maybe you'll find you have a knack for it, or maybe not, but we'd love to see you play along over at SOS.

Thanks for stopping by!




11 comments:

  1. I think your water coloring is beautiful on this card. Your whole card is just lovely with the silhouetted flowers. I see a CASE coming. Have a fun day, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing, this card is beautiful. I bought the 24 set of Zig CCB Markers and sold them a few weeks ago on a Facebook group. I didn't like the way the colors were splotchy and didn't blend - or blended too well.Just not my cup of tea at all. I'm not getting into the Color Burst stuff, I'm not crazy about that look, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't jump on the water coloring pallets/pens/powders band wagon. I love the look, but feel I'm not good at it. This card is gorgeous in it's CASiness. Love the simplicity of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks *INCREDIBLY* lovely in fact. absolute perfection. ♥ (kinda bummed about the pens... i've somewhat had my eye on those... ppl either love or hate it seems...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome card, I'm sticking with my distress inks for watercolouring. I'm not very adventurous unless put in a corner with a challenge lol. I love how dark your flower stamp is on the watercolour paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie, I feel your pain on the watercoloring and all the rest too! I have some of the Zigs and they're hard to get the hang of for sure. I like the bright colors - and then I don't! You couldn't have done anything prettier than what you did though with this card. It's sensational plus and so beautiful. I'll have to try my hand at 'water coloring' this way! LOVE IT!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know thyself. It will save you money and frustration. Bold flowers on the blue swatch? Brilliant design choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel free to let me know if you're selling Zigs or powders off cheap. :D Because why do you need them when you can do this? Beautiful distress watercoloured panel, crisp black stamping, this is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain, wet mediums are so not me...I try and try and they get worse and worse
    I love your card, the blue on white and the pop of black...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does cat slobber count for a wet medium? I'm with you... not a water colorerererer but darn, it sure looks nice. Your card is lovely and nice and crisp. You don't get that with water. or probably cat slobber.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)