Saturday, March 29, 2014

Jingle Belles: Spirit of Christmas Past

The challenge for this fortnight over at Jingle Belles is Spirit of Christmas Past, and we're supposed to make something with an old-fashioned feeling.

It should come as no surprise to you that where I might have a lot of irreverence in my collection, I don't have a lot of old-fashioned stuff, or vintage-y stuff. I have old stuff, just not old enough! So what do I do? I use paper that looks old and vintage-y. Cheating is good in the crafty world.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:


I love that paper with the Santa face on it. I stamped a Hero Arts sentiment with a flourish-y font, but I couldn't just call it Done. No, I needed to actually do something here, so I decided to add a tiny vellum poinsettia. I die-cut it twice from cardstock-weight vellum and layered them. I tried to put the brad through the individual pieces, but they were so tiny I opted to glue them all to the card first, then poke one hole through the whole stack. It worked. I colored the backs of the two leaves with a Copic marker and glued them under the flower.

I used one of the brown papers from the same pack to layer the Santa piece, and stuck it to a linen card base. Now it was done!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: SU cardstock-weight vellum, Tombow adhesive, misc brad, and the following:



5 comments:

  1. That paper is lovely, and the white poinsettia is just the right embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever coloring to turn those flower petals into leaves ... what a perfect embellishment ... and it's not cheating girlfriend, when you make it work ... so glad you went old-school with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done. You've captured the vintage look well with your vintage paper. Hey, all is fair in love and war and papercrafting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so totally NOT cheating at all, this has vintage style GALORE... totally fair and square!!! love that perfect stamped sentiment and the gorgeous vellum flower (with colored in leaves! gotta remember that--copic on the BACK of the vellum, brilliant!) always excited when you come hang out with us at JINGLE BELLES! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)